Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Guest Blogger- Kayla Johnson

I am soooo pleased to introduce you to a wonderful friend and role model in my life. Kayla was my RA my freshmen year. Despite her extremely weird profile picture when I first friend requested her (her hair was all in front of her face and it was just silly)....she is really awesome. Kayla is passionate about her relationship with the Lord and is extremely loving and caring of others. Kayla is going to be graduating in just a few days so I asked her to share some thoughts with you. Kayla blogs here! Thank you so much Kayla for the way that you have invested in my life and in so many other lives here at IWU.


        So per the request of a Ms. Paige Oler, I am guest blogging to share some thoughts with you. I don’t really know how to get this started so i’ll just awkwardly transition into my thought life now... Through my years here at school I think God has taught me a lot about who He is and His call for my life. But even as a graduating Senior, I don’t know exactly what I’ll be doing with the gifts and passions God has revealed to me. Many times I get a little down on myself and feel like at this point I should know EXACTLY what God has for my life. I should know the 10 year plan of what I will be doing, how I will be making money, who I will be marrying, when I will be a mother, how I will pay off my school debt.... you know.. all those questions. But I don’t. And I don’t think this is a lack of my abilities to plan (though I’m not an awesome planner). God’s just not ready to reveal all of those specifics to me right now. I know I’ll be living in Marion, working at a bookstore and learning how to farm in Upland, being involved in the Marion community gardens, and continuing to learn from the relationships I have built here through my church and school. But after that... i got nothin’
        For me, its an issue of control. I think the reason God hasn’t revealed the specifics of my life yet is because He knows that if I knew all of that stuff, I’d forget about Him. Not that I would drop my faith! But I wouldn’t seek Him as hard as I have been these past few months.
        One of my friends and mentors sent me a card the other day with a quote from MLK that really made me restructure the way I was approaching my future...
“This life, therefore, is not righteousness, but growth in righteousness; not health, but healing; not being, but becoming; not rest but exercise; we are not yet what he shall be, but we are growing toward it. The process is not yet finished, but it is going on. This is not the end, but it is the road. All is not yet gleam in glory but all is being purified.”
My prayer is that God would only reveal things to you on a “need to know” basis so that you will learn true dependence on Him as the author of your story. Trust Him to write out your life and live freely that He will write a good one. Living in this trust daily with a posture of response to all that He has for you in that day will give you a rich since of freedom. Life is not an end goal, but a process of seeking and glorifying God on the journey.

1 comment: