Saturday, March 31, 2012

Kony 2012 and The Hunger Games


These topics are pretty big these days. Kony 2012, and The Hunger Games. I think I have been avoiding blogging about them because I think they are both just really big topics to address. But the avoiding is over. Disclaimer: these are my thoughts and feelings; by no means do I think I know everything or that I have any answers. 

With that being said here are my thoughts on Kony 2012. Wow. What a huge campaign. What a great example of how powerful social media can be. As a Public Relations major I have been impressed and really interested in how they have handled everything. As a person who has been to Africa a few times, I have a passion for Africa, and this hit my heart pretty hard. I know people from Uganda and it was not the first time I had heard of The Invisible Children Organization. I was shocked by how many people reposted the video and how many conversations I had about it in the week following the videos explosion. The thing that scared me the most was the bandwagon effect. It seemed to me that within a matter of minutes people were watching the video and reposting it or sharing it with friends. My guess is that these people did little to no research on the topic itself. As a person in college, and as a Christian, I think it is my role to be a smart consumer of the media that I intake and the media that I put out or repost. There was no way that I was going to repost that video right after watching it. My heart was hurting. I was confused. I didn’t fully understand the topic and I knew I needed to read more if I was going to support the movement or not. So, my challenge to you blog friends is to form your own opinion. Be cautious when you decide to support something like this. Do your research. Don’t repost it because all your friends are, don’t repost it because it will make you look like a better Christian; do not repost it because you want to “fix” Africa. Be able to have an informed decision and not just say “what a cool video.” 

Here are some articles that I have read to become more informed on the topic. Read these, or don’t, feel free to read others. It’s not hard to find them.

Micah 6:8

Now, The Hunger Games. 

I went and saw The Hunger Games on opening weekend. I went in feeling very skeptical. I knew the plot had children killing children and I was confused as to how that could be entertaining. I saw it in Bluffton, Ohio for $3 dollars in a theatre with one screen. Cute. Haha but that is besides the point. I loved the movie. I was hooked. There were two things that really stood out to me that took the “cool movie” to a much deeper level. 
 Here are the pretty ladies that I saw it with!

1.       The distribution of wealth.
My friend turned to me and said “it is so weird how its suppose to be a futuristic movie and some of the people are futuristic looking but the people in district 12 look so old fashioned.” To that I responded with “Yea, that’s how our world is today.”The distribution of the wealth today is unreal.  The percentage of people that have the money and power is crazy small. Just like the capital city in The Hunger Games. I eat like a queen in my college cafeteria while kids across the ocean and heck down the street are hoping that someone will toss a loaf of bread their way. This is real life. It’s how it is right now. Just like in The Hunger Games, yet, I don’t think people see it that way because they don’t want to. It sucks. Sometimes holding a mirror up to your life makes you want to close your eyes.
2.       Entertainment in our society.
One of the other things in the movie that slapped me in the face was the parallel to what we find out entertainment in. You might say “Paige, we are not entertained by watching kids kill other kids” which is true… to a degree. But what are we entertained by? As time goes on the things that are shown on TV and in movies gets more and more disgusting. We, and myself, included are entertained by reality TV. In all reality these shows have ruined lives or drastically changed them…and it is for our entertainment. We watch movies where people brutally kill each other. It might disturb us but to a degree we are entertained. It’s sick. I think it is getting worse. Again, it’s the whole mirror thing. The Hunger Games shows a drastic example….and it is something that I don’t think we want to face or except. 

After seeing the movie I had an awesome opportunity to meet with one of my professors and discuss it. Oh the perks of a small school. It was a great conversation and I encourage you to find others that want to talk about it with you. Of course, I am always willing and would love it. 

Those are my thoughts. Again, they are mine. I understand that. My goal is not to offend anyone or get anyone upset but I want to encourage you and spur you on to think more about both of these topics. I know that they might not be right but I hope that they make you think. I hope that they challenge you to think deeper about both of these headline topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment